Tuesday, February 3, 2015

You and Me -- a Tutorial for Crafty Sentiments

Happy Tuesday, everyone!  I have a tutorial for you all today.  I'm guest designing for the next 6 months (yes, SIX!) for the Crafty Sentiments Inspirational Blog. This is my first post, and my first tutorial.  I'm showing you how to take ordinary white ribbon and make it extraordinary!

But first, your image.  I loved this Crafty Sentiments rubber stamp  from the 2014 Romance Collection called "You've Got Heart." 
Here's the stamped, uncolored image

I generally color my images with the papers that I want to use in front of me, like this. I colored this image with Copic Markers. These papers are from Close To My Heart.

That way, I know everything will match when I'm finished.
Now, for the ribbon fun.  
Cut a piece of white ribbon.  I used 1/4 inch May Arts silk, but any white ribbon will work. My ribbon is about 14 inches long.  Then, pick out inks that match your papers.  You can see, I'm using 3 shades of Tim Holtz Distress Ink here, but other inks work also.  I've got sponge daubers, but I've used makeup sponges, too.

Now, for the fun.  Dab ink on the ribbon, covering it completely, alternating colors about every inch or so. Here's the ribbon, partly done.

Once your ribbon is done, it's time to assemble your card.  I used a couple of dies from Lawn Fawn on this, but a paper trimmer would achieve the same effect.
Here's all my supplies, including the sentiment -- cut out from the edge of a 12x12 piece of paper.

And, once again, the finished card.  Notice the inked ribbon running length-wise, and tied in a bow.  Isn't it a neat affect?

Now, wasn't that easy?  OK, get going!  And, once you get your own pretty ribbon made, don't forget to enter it in the Crafty Sentiments Challenge. Make the Crafty Sentiments Inspirational Blog a part of your regular routine.  There's tons of great inspiration there! Don't forget the Crafty Sentiments Facebook Page for even more fun and inspiration.

2 comments:

  1. fantastic way to create custom ribbon to go with your card! man, o man, this image is just too sweet. perfect shading and coloring lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really cute card Julie! Happy Valentines :)

    ReplyDelete